- PUT A CUSHION AND BLANKET IN THE CRIB
A crib is a place where there’s little or nothing that can be found that could cause a baby to choke in his or her sleep. So forget the blankets or pillows and put baby in a sleeping bag to keep him warm and safe.
- SMOKING IN THE ROOM
We know the problems caused by passive smoking, but it is all the more dangerous for newborns: health problems, but also and above all is to see the risk of sudden death in infants increase by two (or even three). A good reason to stop smoking!
- PUTTING BABY ON HIS STOMACH
You may think that our mothers laid us on our stomachs and that we are still alive. And you would certainly be right. But the reason doctors now recommend that babies sleep on their backs is because the risk of sudden infant death syndrome is higher for babies who sleep on their stomachs.
- COVER THE STROLLER WITH A CLOTH
In the summer, many parents put a cloth over the stroller to keep baby in the shade and cool, away from sunburn. Although this is done to protect baby from the sun, it’s something that should be avoided at all costs! This practice, which seems benevolent, will result in a significant increase in the temperature inside the bassinet, and will cause more distress to baby during hot weather.
- WASH BABY EVERY DAY
While bathing baby every day isn’t really bad in itself, prolonged contact with water and care products, no matter how gentle and natural they are, tends to attack a toddler’s sensitive skin, damaging the protective layer that covers the child’s skin. As a result, baby will be more vulnerable to external aggressions such as germs, pollution, fungus and infections. Then the bath yes, but every two days maximum!
- WARM THE BOTTLE IN THE MICROWAVE.
While heating baby’s bottle in the microwave may not directly affect his health, it has been proven that under the effect of the waves, the various components of milk such as probiotics or certain vitamins deteriorate. What’s more, heating the bottle in the microwave sometimes causes the milk to heat unevenly and your baby could get burned. Instead, use a bottle warmer.
- PUTTING BABY IN A SITTING POSITION BEFORE HE’S ABLE TO DO SO
This is a mistake that many young parents make: putting their child in a sitting position when they are not yet able to do so. And while this may seem like a small thing, it will have an impact on baby’s motor development. Indeed, the lying position is a very important station for toddlers and the strengthening of their muscles. When he is on his back, he works his muscle tone and strengthens it. While wriggling, he will learn to rock on his side and turn on his stomach.
And once on his stomach, he will need to work his neck muscles in order to raise his head and see everything that is happening around him. He will then put in place his first strategies for moving around. However if one puts baby sitting, he will not be able to turn and work this muscular reinforcement. The ideal is to leave baby master of his development by the free psychomotricity.
- OVERHEATING THE ROOM OF BABY
When our child is small, we are always afraid that he will be too cold when he sleeps, so we turn up the heat, especially in the winter. And yet, the ideal temperature for the baby’s room is around 18 to 19 degrees. Overheating the baby’s room (or the house in general) will tend to dry out the air in the room, which can lead to respiratory problems in small children. So a piece of advice: air your house well and, above all, don’t blow the thermostat!
- LEAVING BABY IN THE CAR
This may sound shocking, but dramatic accidents happen all too often because of parents leaving their toddler in the car. Whether your baby is napping or not, in a hurry or not, or even if you think you’ll only be in the car for 10 minutes or less, never leave a baby in the car, especially in the summer. If we can admit not to take him out to get a bread at the bakery when no one is around and we are parked right in front of it, or to put some mail in a mailbox, for the rest, the rule is to always take baby out of the car when we are not inside!